Monday, October 13, 2008

Edu Falaschi : interview on Rock Underground



Here a translation (a bad translation, I'm so sorry for my bad English !) of an Edu Falaschi's interview on Rock Underground website !

Almah: the bestalbum of the Edu Falaschi 's career !

RU: Well talking about the new Almah' album. It is very different from the first. When I interviewed you in 2006, when the output of Aurora Consurgens Angra (...), Almah emerged almost simultaneously. You said that in Almah there were lots of things you could not do in Angra, as hard rock, prog, influences of the 70s and even pop. But I don't see any pop influence in Fragile Equality. Would there be a change of direction since, Angra was your main group and Almah only a parallel project.

Edu Falaschi: That's right! At that moment I was taken to 100% by Angra which was my main group, Almah was a solo album, in which I wanted to do everything that I couldn't do in Angra, these styles as you mentioned. Anyone who recorded the CD were international guests: Casey Grillo (D / Kamelot), Lauri Porres (B / Stratovarius) and Emppu Vuorinen (G / Nightwish). It was therefore a solo album, a parallel project. Now Almah is my main band.

RU : What's the impact of the album?

Edu Falaschi: It's a bomb! All reviews have been very positive! many people have said that this album was a "masterpiece" . Others have said that new rediscover the Power Metal, in a different style. Still others say that Fragile Equality is the best work I made since I'm in Angra, others say it is the best of my career, overtook what I did with Angra. I 'm a little scared of that, statements of the press, friends or people, media and fans, I have even more responsibility.

RU: Edu, I have not yet written thereview, but I listened to thealbum for this interview and also by curiosity. I agree that when I received Almah in 2006, I had not many expectations, but when I received Fragile Equality, I really want to hear, and that 's what I've done! And I can tell you that is the best work of your career, better than all the albums you've done with Angra, no doubt! I also found it was a different heavy metal, leaving the complexity of Angra and the hackneyed melodic metal. Despite the fact that it is very technical, it is very direct, as were the first albums of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, for example, they were technical, but direct. This album is one of the best I have heard in recent months, and yet I listen to almost one hundred new products each month!

Edu Falaschi: Thank you! It is true that it is very direct, it was my idea. I can never discredit the Angra's music, a music more complex, technical, full of Brazilian influences and orchestrations. Angra music is not meant to be direct, it is one of these characteristics. But I also want to do this kind of music, more direct.

RU: This new album isn't composed by you alone, but by all the band?

Edu Falaschi: yes. The band is now me on vocals, Marcelo Barbosa and Paulo Schroebr on guitars, Felipe Andreoli on bass and Marcelo Moreira on drums. I have a great desire with this line-up, which is for me the best line-up possible to have in a band.

RU: It's the definitive Almah line-up ?

Edu Falaschi: yes. Obviously, I can't say that there will be no changes, we don't know the future but now, everyone is happy in Almah.

RU : What is the concept of Fragile Equality?

Edu Falaschi: Look around you, we talk a lot about this fragile balance, the limit is tenuous, balance is an over chaos, that's what we talk about the physical part of the universe. But we don"t want just to discuss this with the lyrics, but also musically. It is useless to talk about one thing if music and instrumental line contradicts the rest!

RU : I have seen that. I would ask you if this balance was intentional. The album is various.There are 2 pieces , traditional power metal "Birds of Prey" and Torn. " Magic Flame" and Meaningless World "are pieces of pure melodic power metal. "Beyound Tomorrow" and "You'll Understand" are more progressive, chaotic, although heavy, aggressive, almost trash. In these songs, there's the technical virtuosity with the weight of trash. In addition to these pieces, there are two ballads: "Shade Of My Soul" and "All I Am". Invisible Cage has elements of Brazilian and Fragile Equality is more modern, (...) The choice of these pieces is rational?

Edu Falaschi: Guy, I gave interviews around the world about this album and you are the first to have seen that! Yesi, I wanted this balance! This is intentional, is the subject. In addition to talking about the subject of the fragility of the balance, we wanted to do more with this album : we wanted that the auditor has a feeling of the concept, not just a reading of lyrics. You killed what we wanted to do!

The rest of the interview is about Angra ( but there's nothing new!)

Fore more news : Rock Underground website