Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Marcelo Barbosa : interview Hard Blast part. 2



As promised, here is the end of the interview with Marcelo Barbosa for Hard Blast by Malia Kaarina:

** Read the first part

** Read the whole interview on Hard Blast : English / Portuguese

"Maila: Having so much to do can you still find time for hobbies and fun? What do you like to do in your free time?

Marcelo: I have to find it, right? It´s part of our lives! I love working on music so I usually have fun while working but I also love cinema so I´m always looking for a good film to watch. I like reading but this is something I do more during trips or while waiting for something. And the last thing, but not less important, physical activities. I´ve been practicing Taekowndo for over 15 years an nowadays I´ve been into a running training program. My idea is to run a half marathon, for example, and maybe, a full marathon someday, who knows? I´m also interested in wine so I´m attending a course to learn more about the subject.


Maila: When it´s time to listen to music, what´s in your i-pod?

Marcelo: My I-pod selection is crazy! You can find nearly everything there. I like progressive rock a lot so there is always Rush, Yes, Dream Theater and so on. I like rock from the 70´s as Led, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Aerosmith and from the 80´s and 90´s Van Halen, Queen, Nine Inch Nails for example. All these among rock stuff but I also listen to a lot of fusion, jazz and other types of instrumental music. Nowadays I´ve been into a band called Jellyfish, a kind of pop/rock very well done which sounds like a mixing of Beatles and Supertramp but full of personality. It´s not a new band but I found them out this year by a friend´s suggestion. There is also “All the Right Reasons from Nickelback which besides great songs has an amazing and awesome guitar sound. And also Metallica´s Death Magnetic.


Maila: If you had the power to change anything in relation to music business, which would your first attitude be and why?

Marcelo: I would implement mandatory music teaching in all schools of the world. I think people who understand and know music get much more sensitive, more intelligent. Even Nietzsche said: “Without music life would be a mistake.” I believe all ways of artistic expression are worth, well, I don´t mean to defend a specific position here, but there wouldn´t be dance without music. I know many painters paint listening to their favorite composers to be inspired, it´s common to listen the same kind of report coming from writers. There are several studies saying that children who had listened to classical music while they were babies are usually good at Math and all exact sciences. (all those who have studied musical theory know, coincidence or not, that music and math are deeply connected).


Maila: Which musician would be a dream for you to meet?

Marcelo: I´ve never had the dream of meeting any big musician. I´ve never thought of it. I admire the work itself much more than the person. I´ve had the opportunity to meet and talk a little with many of the musicians I admire. However I think it would be great to talk to Neil Peart from Rush.


Maila: What would you ask him?

Marcelo: Well, since it´s a dream, could I watch a Rush´s concert sitting next to your drums?


Maila: What are the 5 main and necessary steps for those who intend to be guitarists like you?

Marcelo: I´ve never thought about it this way but let´s see what I can do. Well, first you´ve gotta know about music, learn how to listen to music and research the references. Second: study to learn. It can be done through a teacher, a good school or even by yourself if you think it´s better. Everyone must choose what´s the best way. Third: play with other people. It means nothing if you play very well but only to you bedroom´s wall. The relationship with other musicians in different musical environments is essential to anybody´s development. Fourth: be professional. It isn´t because you decided to work with arts that you are not a regular professional. You must see your career as a real job and make it as important as one. Last thing, never stop researching and studying. A professional who doesn´t go for constant improvement loses the chance of creating something new and innovative. Nobody is too good to stop learning.


Maila: A message to the readers, please.

Marcelo: Never give up on your goals even when they look impossible to achieve. Dreaming is part of living and it´s fuel to the soul. Who spends all the time with both feet on the ground loses the magnitude of flying. Don´t dream too much, though, work hard to achieve your dreams. Only dreaming won´t bring you anything and nobody will work for you.

I think that´s it...
Hugs to all!"


For more news : Hard Blast